Saturday, November 15, 2008

Brisbane - Rugby

I’ve decided I rather like rugby. I don’t pretend to understand all the rules but Lorraine’s husband Russell did at least educate me on the basics of the game the Aussies call “footy.” It’s similar to American Football (which has its origins in rugby) but there is no forward passing or blocking. There is instead a plethora of laterals and a bit of kicking. The players are amazing athletes as they are not specialized to one task - they play both offence and defense - and must be strong and fast and have great endurance. And they don’t wear pads! The matches are very fast paced consisting of two 40 minute halves, without the endless stopping of the clock between plays that we are used to. Apparently there are two different types: Rugby League and Rugby Union. I think I’ve been watching the former but I have no idea what the difference is. I’m sure I’ll figure it out before we leave Australia.