Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Adelaide - Barossa Valley

We enlisted the same tour company that showed us through the Adelaide Hills to give us a tour of the Barossa Valley wine region. It was another excellent tour with another excellent guide. It was mostly centered on wine tastings at various vineyards throughout the valley. As a non-wine drinker this didn’t interest me much, but I surprised Deborah by taking sips from most of her glasses. I surprised her even more when I came across one I could actually swallow without scrunching up my face and quickly exhaling the noxious fumes as I normally do. That reaction especially happens with Port, which tastes like cough syrup past its expiration date. The one I “liked” was a sparkling Riesling, probably because it was a sweet, lightweight wine that most resembled soda pop. Deborah is also pleased that I’m even overcoming my aversion to cheese that isn’t on a pizza.

We liked the Barossa Valley although it takes some getting used to the brown grass among the green vineyards. It is that time of year. It would make sense to put our imaginary B&B in this area, but I’m not sure I can pictures us here. I think I like the Adelaide Hills area better.

Barossa Valley vineyards - one of many

Barossa Valley

Deborah wine tasting, trying not to look tipsy


Green trees, brown grass



The wine connoisseurs (ha!)


One of the tours stops included this mini animal sanctuary



A look of dissappointment that we were too cheap to buy the $2 bag of kangaroo food.


Another tour stop: The Whispering Wall. It's a dam with a curving wall that possesses the unexpected acoustical property that a person can speak softly at one end and someone standing over a hundred meters away at the far other end can hear them as if they were standing right next to them. We tried this with Deborah singing (to great applause) and it works amazingly well.