Monday, December 29, 2008

Sydney - The Rocks and Chinatown

A more successful experience with the public transportation system brought us by bus into the city center for another day of sightseeing. This time we concentrated on Chinatown, a nearby open air Sunday Market, and the historic district known as The Rocks. The latter is the site of the first European settlement in Sydney and retains much of the old architecture and cobblestone streets.

Deborah purchased a fragrant sachet to put in her suitcase for the curious purpose of making it smell like lavender. I guess it’s a girl thing. I on the other hand purchased a new hat (#3 for this trip) to replace the cheap “old guy” hat that I had purchased in haste when my beloved hat #1 disappeared. More recently I also lost my favorite pair of cargo shorts, known affectionately to us as “the file cabinet” for its numerous and ample pockets. I think I left it in our hotel in Adelaide along with my favorite new shirt, which I purchased for a whopping $3 at a thrift store in Brisbane. Apparently I am determined to leave bits of my wardrobe spread all across Australia.
Chinatown

A Chinatown shop full of thousands of asian knick knacks, leaving little room to maneuver for 6'-2" tourists with backpacks.


The Sunday Market under a canopy of stylish tents.


The Rocks




A very cool puppet shop in The Rocks



Historic architecture in The Rocks


Eye-catching pub sign downtown



From across the harbor a view of the vintage amusement park known as Luna Park.



The famous Opera House




The almost as famous Harbor Bridge


Harbor Bridge again. Notice the little figures on top of the bridge at upper left, who were willing to pay a not so little figure to do a guided climb of the bridge.